Did you know that attractive and effective packaging holds the key not only for the successful marketing of a product but also for the positive change in the minds of people and how they perceive a product? More specifically, packaging is the first point of contact of a product with the prospective customers, which conveys all aspects of product characteristics and attributes to them.
In other words, packaging is the one that makes the first impression and has the power to attract the attention of the prospective customers and eventually, persuading them to buy the product.
A unique and strategically designed packaging can make a product stand out among its competitors for the simple reason that it perfectly matches all the necessary elements that lead to success. A properly structured packaging ensures product protection and security, differentiating it from the rest, making it recognizable and attractive, facilitating transportation and handling, while providing all the necessary information it’s consumers need. In short, packaging can be a very powerful tool for a company’s Merchandising and Branding!
Based on a complete set of statistical data obtained from several past packaging studies, we have the following interesting results:
1. 70% of consumers accepted that they form their impression of a brand based solely on packaging.
2. 55% online customers are convinced that they will purchase from those websites again if their products come in customized packaging.
3. 63% consumers agree that the product packaging is as important as brand itself.
4. 52% people say that they will happily pay extra money for products if they like the packaging.
5. 30% businesses reported that their revenues increase when they improve their product packaging.
6. 64% people accepted that they purchase products right off the shelf, if they like the packaging without researching it.
The above data reveals interesting facts about the role and strength of packaging, as consumers often seem to decide what they will buy because of packaging, especially in non-general consumer products.
The question that arises here is: Why and How Does this Happen?
Deepening a little and looking more closely at the question, we find the answers:
1) A presentable package is quite likely to affect the purchasing behavior of consumers on many levels. The more aesthetically pleasing a package, the more it will be perceived by consumers and will be chosen more.
2) Logos play an equally key role in product recognition and are directly related to packaging, affecting consumer choices, as they are the only visible manifestation of the brand’s “essence” for consumers.
3) Typography and color combinations are also elements that communicate with consumers at a much deeper level. Elegant, tough but simple fonts can create a lasting positive impression on the minds of consumers. Their easy readability helps customers make a quicker purchase decision.
4) On the other hand, colors, if smartly used in packaging, have the ability to make a product stand out from its competitors visually and send a clear message to consumers about what the product is about.
5) Also, unique shapes of packaging designs have long been used as effective branding purposes because they have the ability to create an exclusive image in the minds of consumers.
Packaging is at the heart of promoting a product, influencing consumers’ buying behaviours, and safety of the product. It communicates with customers, effectively telling them what the brand and company stands for. This is what the power of an effective packaging is.
Source: Packaging of the World